Local Search Engine Optimization
Local SEO - why you should optimize your website for local internet users:
Thousands of customers are searching online for the exact products or services that you provide. They are actively looking to buy and are searching for a business like yours.
The only question is will they find you? Or will they find your competitors in London?
Until very recently a search for a plumber in your local area required you to search for plumber+london+ontario. In recent years the Search Engines have tweaked their algorithms to deliver better results for searches with local intent. Now you only need to search for a service and the Search Engines will assume that you are looking for those services in your local geographic area. This has become even more important to small business with the increased use of iPhones and Blackberries. Being able to attract these local customers searching for products and services can have a huge impact on your bottom line.
This is the way local Search Engine Optimization should be working for you:
- A local buyer here in London searches online for services that you provide. More than half of searches are for services that are provided locally.
- They find your website in the Google search results (SERPS).
- They browse through your site, check that you have what they need, and make a decision to contact you.
- They come into your business, or ask you to come see them, and a sale is made.
Local searchers are a very targeted audience. They also tend to be more likely to buy since they are searching for specific products or services. The HUGE benefit for local businesses is that local listings are often displayed right at the top of the search results. Do a search now for “Pizza London Ontario” and you’ll see what I mean.
Local SEO is also focused on the fact that the website’s purpose is usually to generate an offline visit or purchase of products or services. Certain parts of the website can also be specifically targeted to urgent, time sensitive keyword searches - an area where local businesses shine.
So how would we optimize your website for London Ontario?
1) Identify the most likely keywords that your customers will be using when searching for the service or products that you provide. We do extensive research to ensure that these are accurate, profitable, and a match to your Local customer demographic. At this stage we also research your competition and their sites.
2) Optimize your website for your profitable keywords. We will also create unique content and “Landing Pages” for your major keywords and key product or service. Remember it’s not just about being found - when potential customers arrive at your site onto a landing page it is essential that it is crystal clear what it is you’re offering, why you’re offering it and who you’re offering it to. Search Engine Optimization is also about making it easy for the searcher to find what they need.
3) Search and acquire quality links to your site. The search engines look at one-way links as a vote of confidence in your website. Quality beats out quantity though, so we only acquire relevant, reputable links.
4) List you in the local business directories and any specialty directories that are relevant and reputable.
5) Regular measuring, monitoring, and maintaining of web site performance metrics.
The combination of unique keyword rich content, quality one way links to your site, and a good site and page structure gives Google and the other major search engines exactly what they need to see in order to place your site in the first page of results that are served up to local consumers looking for your product or service.
If you would like to discuss what a local Search Engine Optimization campaign could do for your business by focusing on discover-ability (making your business easier to find) and marketability (making it more relevant), please contact us for a free consultation. Use the contact page or just click the start button.