At Ontario SEO, we’ve set up Google Ads accounts for all types of organizations, from local services to multinational companies. With all of this experience behind us, we’ve streamlined our setup process to make it as easy as possible for our clients to get started with Google Ads.
In performing many Google Ads audits, we’ve seen first-hand what happens when an account is set up the wrong way. Sometimes it can take months or even years to correct issues that, with better planning, could have been prevented altogether.
Here are just some of the issues that come out of a careless Google Ads account setup:
- Wasted ad spend on irrelevant search terms
- Ads appearing in unintended placements
- Getting “locked out” of your Google Ads account
- Violation of advertising policies, resulting in temporary or permanent account suspensions
These roadblocks can easily set you back and disrupt your marketing momentum. Getting it right from the start means getting your campaigns up and running faster, so you can start driving results with Google Ads right away.
Our Google Ads Setup Process
Before we dive into a new Google Ads account setup, we perform a thorough intake to understand your business and your goals. The questions we might ask include:
- Who is your target market? What geographic areas do you serve?
- Do you have internal goals or performance targets?
- How much are you willing to spend to acquire a new customer?
- Who are your known competitors?
All of this information helps us to gain a deeper understanding of your business and how Google Ads fits into your “bigger picture”.
Beyond understanding your goals, the next important factor is budget. While there is no minimum budget in Google Ads, the amount you plan to spend will influence the strategy and structure of your account.
Knowing your marketing budget up front helps us to carefully select campaign types and structure your campaigns to get you the best possible results.
At this step, we will provide instructions to create your Google Ads account or we will create the account on your behalf. If you have an existing Google Ads account, we’ll request “management” access which allows us to operate the account while preserving your “ownership” of it as a business asset.
We also request access to your Google Analytics and Google Tag Manager. For clients new to these Google products, we’ll take steps to ensure they are set up and linked to your website. This helps us to track events that take place on your website, and to understand the value of your Google Ads by comparing its performance with other digital channels.
Behind the Scenes
Once we have all of the information we need, we start building out your Google Ads account structure, configuring the account and campaign settings to achieve optimal performance.
We take an objective-based approach to campaign development, meaning each campaign has a specific objective and we only create as many campaigns as are needed to achieve your goals.
What Separates Us
When it comes to Google Ads setup, there are a few things that set us apart:
- We understand your business is unique and we treat it that way. Many agencies take a cookie cutter approach, applying the same structure to all their clients’ ad accounts. We take the time to develop a unique strategy that integrates your goals, budget, target audience, the competitive landscape, and more.
- We pride ourselves on accountability and transparency, making every effort to ensure that you can access and “own” your accounts. Unlike many other agencies, you get full ownership of your account even if our partnership ends.
- Our agreements are flexible and our fees aren’t tied to your media spend. The cost to set up and manage your Google Ads account is based on a realistic measure of the time and resources needed to manage your account effectively.
- We do not “set and forget”. While the setup process is critical, it’s only the beginning of a partnership that involves ongoing monitoring and regular improvements. Through reliable testing methods, we can prove whether or not a particular a strategy is working and make changes to improve it even further.
Partnering with an agency of industry professionals will help ensure that your Google Ads account is set up properly the first time. At Ontario SEO, we take pride in our established procedures and the results we’ve been able to achieve for our clients using Google Ads.